Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Password Managers

What is your technique for managing the numerous userids, passwords and links that go along with our lives these days?   I recently polled our CMIT Stamford staff CMIT Solutions Owners and this is what they use.

KeyPass

“It has a portable version too. http://keepass.info/

iNet form filler

“I've used iNet form filler for some of our clients.  It seems to work pretty well.”

Word

“I’ve never used any…personally I don’t like the idea of all my passwords being left to a single program or some online vault where I don’t know who has access to the server or where it is etc.

My passwords are stored in a password secured Word document…probably not the most secure solution, but even in that Word document I don’t disclose the actual password I use for important things.  Other passwords for “stupid” things are shown and written, but my password for my banking account (for example) is written in the Word document as “standard” because it’s the standard special password I use for important things.

So that’s how I roll…overall I think the best place for passwords to stay is in your head.”

eToken

“I use eToken from Aladdin. It is a hardware/software based vault. The token is a thumb drive which has all passwords encrypted and has a password to get into. You can then just remove the thumb drive and even if someone gets onto your system they cannot get to the password list. It has various software packages which you get to use for web based or network log ins.

Also there versions like IMB which has completely separate hardware on some of its laptops, it just cannot be removed.”

SplashID

“Persoanlly I use SplashID. It synchs with my iPhone and my Windows desktop so I have everything in it. It comes with many predefined types and categories, but you can create your own, and customize the various fields.

It is MUCH better than my old password protected excel spreadsheet!

I believe there is a MAC version as well.”

RoboForm

“I use RoboForm both personally and for business.  Can't say enough good things about the product.  I used the Free version but quickly upgraded to the full version. 

http://www.roboform.com/

BlackBerry

Technorati Tags:

“BlackBerry password keeper”

LastPass.com

Consider LastPass.com (https://lastpass.com/). It was favorably reviewed by Steve Gibson of GRC.com/SecurityNow podcast who is a very respected security researcher.  Steve gave it a glowing review on his show #256.

    (end of list)

Have one that is not on the list? Add a comment and I’ll add yours!

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm

1 comment:

Evan Stein said...

I use Excel. But instead of actually writing the passwords down (in case someone gets a hold of the file), I have a "root" password that everything else is based off of. In the Excel file, the password would say something like root$123. Only I know what to substitute for "root" and that part stays in my head.